Local News

Chemical Experiment Sends Several Raleigh Students, Teachers to Hospital

Posted Updated

RALEIGH — SeveralLeesville Road High Schoolstudents and faculty members were taken to Wake Medical Center to be checked out Friday morning after a chemical experiment went awry.

Investigators say the incident happened around 8 a.m. when zinc and sulfur were mixed. The combination created a small fire and gas cloud, but the fumes were not toxic.

The fire department did take precautions, however.

School administrators plan to meet Friday afternoon to discuss what happened.

Officials say they expect no one to be held at the hospital since there was no report of any serious injuries.

1 / 2


Adrienne Traxinger, Photographer
Julie Moos, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.