2 Charged After Accidents Must Prove Immigration Status
A man charged in an incident following a three-fatal accident in Raleigh was told Monday that he could not post bond until he proves to a judge that he is legally in the United States.
The same requirement met a man arraigned Monday on charges stemming from his truck plowing into a state Highway Patrol cruiser on Interstate 40 last Friday.
Marcos Cabrera, 20, of Raleigh, was arraigned Monday in Wake County court on a charge of obstructing police by driving away with the lone survivor of a car crash early Sunday at North New Hope Road and Fawn Glen Drive. Cabrera also was charged with driving without a license.
Some judges in the county have begun requiring proof of citizenship if defendants have no other proper identification. The judges say it is another way to try to make sure defendants who are released on bond will show up in court again.
Cabrera could not produce anything that would satisfy the judge Monday and was ordered held.
Omar Zetina, 22, who last week told troopers his last name was Zetino, also did not have a driver's license and was arrested after the truck he was driving for Speedy Construction and Removal of Wendell sideswiped a stopped tractor-trailer and hit the cruiser. Zetina, who gave a Cary address, could not show he was a citizen and was ordered held.