Local News

No One Hurt in Meredith Dorm Fire

Posted Updated
No one was injured in the blaze at Meredith College.(WRAL-TV5 News)
RALEIGH — A cigarette may be to blame for an early morning fire at Raleigh's Meredith College.

A fire broke out in a trash can in a first-floor laundry room at Heilman Dorm.

No one was hurt, and the fire was contained to that room.

The Raleigh Fire Department says a preliminary investigation indicates someone may have been smoking and tossed the lit cigarette into a garbage can.

The laundry room was gutted, and dorm rooms on the first floor sustained smoke damage.

There was no damage to the rooms on the second and third floor of the dorm. The campus news bureau says the first floor is expected to be reoccupied later in the day.

Parents of Meredith students who have questions can call919-760-8633for more information. andMichelle Singer

Image

 Credits

Ericka Lewis, Reporter
John Cox, Photographer
Kay Miller, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.