Sparklers Lead to Blaze at Holly Springs Home
Posted July 3, 1999 7:00 a.m. EDT
HOLLY SPRINGS — Firefighters were put to the test Sunday afternoon, as they battled a home fire in searing summer heat.
The back of a house on Dutch Run Road inHolly Springswas damaged after unsupervised children were playing with holiday sparklers.
One of the children apparently dropped the sparkler on the back porch, which then fell into some pine straw. The sparkler lit the pine straw and the entire back of his home went up in flames.
Crews from Holly Springs and Apex responded to the call.
Some firefighters were treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.
The rear of the house is gutted, and the damage is estimated to be around $80,000.
None of the children or people at home suffered fire-related injuries.