Local News

Sparklers Lead to Blaze at Holly Springs Home

Posted Updated
Windows open to let out smoke, the roof peak singed and the back of the house gutted -- due to a sparkler.(WRAL-TV5 News)
HOLLY SPRINGS — Firefighters were put to the test Sunday afternoon, as they battled a home fire in searing summer heat.

The back of a house on Dutch Run Road inHolly Springswas damaged after unsupervised children were playing with holiday sparklers.

One of the children apparently dropped the sparkler on the back porch, which then fell into some pine straw. The sparkler lit the pine straw and the entire back of his home went up in flames.

Crews from Holly Springs and Apex responded to the call.

Some firefighters were treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.

The rear of the house is gutted, and the damage is estimated to be around $80,000.

None of the children or people at home suffered fire-related injuries.

Image

 Credits

Chad Flowers, Photographer
Kay Miller, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.