Victim Identified in Fatal Apex Fire
Posted February 20, 1999 6:00 a.m. EST
APEX — Officials have released the name of the victim of Sunday's fatal fire at a mobile home in Apex.
Cornell Powell, 61, died in his bedroom. The preliminary cause has been listed as accidental.
Investigators believe an open flame on an oil lamp started the fire in Powell's bedroom. He was found dead on the floor at the bedroom door. There were no smoke detectors in the home.
The investigators said this was a classic case where a smoke detector might have saved a life.
Officials say the fire began about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the mobile home off Highway 55 between Apex and Holly Springs.