Local News

Capitol Officer Felled by Fumes

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com

RALEIGH — A state capitol police officer was overcome by toxic fumes at a state building in Raleigh early Sunday morning.

Officer Will Smith was checking a leak in a PCV pipe outside the Bath Building at about 2:30 a.m.

Smith was overwhelmed by the fumes and taken to Wake Medical Center, where he was treated and released.

Hazmat crews and the Raleigh Fire Department determined that it was a freon leak from an air conditioner.

They say the interior of the building was not contaminated.

 Credits

Kay Miller, Web Editor

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ImageFeedback