Local News

Capitol Officer Felled by Fumes

Posted October 24, 1998 7:00 a.m. EDT

— A state capitol police officer was overcome by toxic fumes at a state building in Raleigh early Sunday morning.

Officer Will Smith was checking a leak in a PCV pipe outside the Bath Building at about 2:30 a.m.

Smith was overwhelmed by the fumes and taken to Wake Medical Center, where he was treated and released.

Hazmat crews and the Raleigh Fire Department determined that it was a freon leak from an air conditioner.

They say the interior of the building was not contaminated.