Wake School Board Approves Budget Proposal
Posted April 24, 2007 8:51 p.m. EDT
Updated April 24, 2007 10:16 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — The Wake County Board of Education on Tuesday unanimously approved its proposed 2007-2008 school budget that will now go to the Wake County Board of Commissioners for review.
A work session with the school board is scheduled for May, and commissioners will vote on it in June.
If approved, Wake County's portion would top nearly $306 million, almost $30 million more than last year's budget. County commissioners, however, have said, they would only be able to approve $21 million without a county tax increase.
Wake County school board Chairwoman Patti Head said the additional money would go to accommodate an additional 8,000 students, five new schools and teacher pay raises mandated by the state, among other needs.
It also includes a one-time payment of about $3 million to convert 22 schools to a year-round calendar -- an area of the budget where county commissioners withheld funds earlier this year.
"We're not going to anticipate problems, but we'll certainly have answers when they ask us questions," Head said.
The school system's overall budget for next school year is about $1.1 billion. The school system receives 61 percent of its funding from the state, 33 percent from local government and 6 percent from the federal government.