DURHAM — A science experiment exploded in the face of a local university student late Tuesday night.
The Duke University student, identified by a friend as Jay Jouet, was taken to the hospital for minor cuts, while emergency crews worked at the scene. Investigators say the student was mixing chemicals at Duke's Gross Chemical Building when the flask containing the compounds exploded.
The student was reportedly making methyl boron dichloride, when the explosion happened.
Captain Randy Baker says the ventilation system removed all the fumes from the spill. A hazardous materials crew was also on hand. Officials say there was no damage to the room, and the building will be open Wednesday.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.