Double Shooting At Raleigh Park Not Random, Police Say
Posted December 18, 2005 5:07 a.m. EST
RALEIGH, N.C. — Investigators said an early-Sunday morning double shooting at a Raleigh park that injured a husband and his wife was not a random or chance event.
Police received a 911 call shortly before 3 a.m. Sunday and responded to Millbrook Exchange Park on
Spring Forest Road
, where they found the victims.
The victims, Paul Berkley, 46, and Monique Berkley, 26, both of Clayton, were taken to WakeMed. Paul Berkley, who was shot in the head, was listed in critical condition.
Authorities said Sunday evening that Monique Berkley, who was shot in the left shoulder, made the 911 call to police. The extent of her injuries and her medical condition were not immediately known.
The park was blocked off Sunday as police continued their investigation. A car was also towed from the scene.
Raleigh Police Department spokesman Jim Sughrue said significant progress had been made in the investigation, but would not comment on whether there were any suspects, the car, or a possible motive for the shootings.
"(Investigators are) making progress on putting together some solid theories on what appears to have happened out there," Sughrue said. "Give investigators some more time to work on that."