School Reverses Decision To Suspend Student Who Ran Across Field In Underwear
Posted October 27, 2005 5:36 a.m. EDT
WAKE FOREST, N.C. — A student who faced a one-year suspension from Wake Forest-Rolesville High School for a streaking prank will be allowed to go back to school after all, school officials announced Wednesday.
Dylan Mangum had been suspended for a year after he stripped down to his underwear and ran across the football field during halftime of Wake Forest-Rolesville's homecoming game about six weeks ago. He also bumped into a teacher during the run.
"It's been pretty tough," Dylan said. "It was a challenge having to deal with some of the restrictions put on me."
Dylan's parents filed two appeals with the school and Bill McNeal, superintendent of the Wake County Public School System. The appeals were denied.
"I had been worried about the long-term repercussions of him being suspended," Mary Mangum, Dylan's mother, said.
She said she was considering home-schooling her son when she received a call from Andre Smith, principal of Wake Forest-Rolesville, about a meeting to get Dylan back in school.
Dylan, who had been attending an alternative school during his suspension, will return to Wake Forest-Rolesville on Tuesday.
"We're thrilled that he's going back to school. That's all he wants," Mary Mangum said. "And we're very grateful to the school for allowing him back."
School officials said new information about the incident and the student came to light over the past six weeks, which prompted a re-evaluation of the original punishment.
"I have no plans of doing anything stupid again," Dylan said. "Who would want to go through what I have gone through again?"