Bond Reduced For Teen Accused Of Assaulting Raleigh Store Clerk
Posted October 26, 2005 3:30 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — A judge reduced the bond Wednesday for a 19-year-old accused of hitting a convenience store clerk, who police said was found unconscious outside the store where he worked.
Barry Cross surrendered to Raleigh police Oct. 4 and admitted to investigators that he hit Francis Chege, 30, in the parking lot of Han-Dee Hugo on South New Hope Road. Police believe Chege, 30, hit his head on the ground when he fell and went into a coma.
Cross, who has no prior criminal record, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He was in the Wake County Jail on $1 million bond, but a judge reduced the bond to $250,000.
Police said Cross, 19, was one of four people seen in the convenience store's surveillance video. According to authorities, the four got into a confrontation with Chege, which apparently led to the alleged assault.
The three friends who were with Cross that night do not face charges. Chege was released earlier this month and continues to recover at his home, authorities said.