Durham Police Investigate Fatal Shooting
Posted October 1, 2005 6:25 a.m. EDT
DURHAM, N.C. — Durham police are investigating a fatal shooting at a location where two females were shot earlier this year.
Police said 35-year-old Michael Kenion was killed at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday outside the Club 1000 nightclub on
West Main Street
Police said Kenion had argued with someone at the club and then left. As he walking on West Main Street, four males approached him and an argument followed. Kenion was then shot, and the four males fled in a dark-colored Ford Explorer and a white Ford Crown Victoria, police said.
Though the name of the club has changed, it was the third time this year that someone has been shot at the property on West Main Street.
In January, police said an 18-year-old female -- an innocent bystander -- was shot when the business was called MK's House of Jazz and R&B. It happened two weeks after a 13-year-old female was shot outside the facility. Police said this shooting was gang-related.
The three shootings have occurred in an area in downtown Durham that is under revitalization.
In January, city leaders said something needed to be done about the property.
At the time, City Manager Patrick Baker vowed to meet with the club owner and said: "It is your responsibility to control your clientele, and if you are bringing a criminal element to downtown, maybe it's time to change your mode of business or your operation or your targeted audience."
The two earlier shootings led to a citywide discussion about a possible teen curfew. But ultimately, city leaders decided the curfew would not work.
If you have any information about the shooting of Kenion, please contact Durham CrimeStoppers at