13-Hour Standoff Ends In Durham With Suspect Dead
Posted August 22, 2005 7:17 a.m. EDT
DURHAM, N.C. — A 13-hour standoff between Durham police and a man wanted for shooting his former girlfriend ended Sunday when the suspect shot and killed himself, police said. Kammie Michael, spokeswoman for the Durham Police Department, said the standoff began at about 11 p.m. Saturday when 44-year-old Sterling Maye barricaded himself inside a house at
802 Holloway Street
Michael said officers received a tip that Maye, who was wanted on numerous felony charges, was inside the house. When officers arrived to the location, Maye refused to come out.
Michael said police negotiators spoke with Maye throughout the night and into the morning, but he still refused to come out.
At about noon Sunday, Michael said, officers for the Selective Enforcement Team forced their way into the house, where police found Maye dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Michael said Maye was the only person in the house at the time of the forced entry.
Police said Maye was wanted for shooting his former girlfriend in the stomach at an apartment on
on July 24. The victim's three children were in the apartment when the shooting occurred. Maye also was accused of shooting at a male in the apartment and into an occupied adjacent apartment. No one else was injured, police said.
Maye had been charged with first-degree burglary, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon with a minor present, discharging a firearm into occupied property, and possession of a firearm by a felon.
Police said Maye had led officers on a two-hour chase through parts of Durham on Friday morning, but they were unable to apprehend him at the time.
Maye's body has been sent to the N.C. Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill for an autopsy, police said.