Gas Leak Shuts Down Busy Road In Fayetteville
Posted July 31, 2005 10:27 a.m. EDT
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Fayetteville authorities shut down a busy road Saturday after a construction crew damaged a natural gas line, which caused a gas leak near a popular shopping center.
The crew damaged a gas line under Skibo Road at about 2:30 p.m. Saturday between a K-Mart and Applebee's restaurant. Authorities shut down Skibo Road, in both directions, from Cliffdale Road to Morganton Road, which caused major gridlock in the area.
"It's quite an ordeal," motorist Chuck Gibson said. "It's kind of a waiting game, about two hours I guess."
The Fayetteville Fire Department also evacuated all businesses, including an IHOP restaurant, within 500 feet of the gas leak. About 200 people in all were cleared out of the businesses.
Fire officials repaired the damaged portion of the gas line on Saturday night, and reopened Skibo Road to motorists.
Businesses near the gas leak were expected to be open on Sunday.