Investigators say a lightning strike to the chimney sparked a house fire in Knightdale.
Firefighters believe lightning hit the chimney of a house in the Planters Walk subdivision. The flames severely damaged the upstairs level and one side of the home. No one was home when it happened.
The Cary Fire Department responded to a house fire at Temple Drive around 3 a.m. Authorities said the home was a total loss. There was no one at home at the time of the fire.
Officials said the preliminary cause of the fire was a lightning strike.
In Hoke County, there were reports of trees uprooted by strong winds in the Rockfish Road area.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.