Lightning Causes Problems Across Triangle Area
Posted July 20, 2005 1:47 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — Many people may have stayed up early Wednesday morning because of all the thunder and lightning. Lightning bolts illuminated the sky in Wake County.
Investigators say a lightning strike to the chimney sparked a house fire in Knightdale.
Firefighters believe lightning hit the chimney of a house in the Planters Walk subdivision. The flames severely damaged the upstairs level and one side of the home. No one was home when it happened.
The Cary Fire Department responded to a house fire at Temple Drive around 3 a.m. Authorities said the home was a total loss. There was no one at home at the time of the fire.
Officials said the preliminary cause of the fire was a lightning strike.
In Hoke County, there were reports of trees uprooted by strong winds in the Rockfish Road area.