Local News

Crew Solves Mystery Of Stench At DMV Building

Posted Updated
DMV Building
RALEIGH, N.C. — Crew workers said they found and fixed, on Saturday, the cause of a mysterious smell that forced the evacuation of the second floor of the state Division of Motor Vehicles building in Raleigh.

Shortly after arriving to work on Friday, three DMV employees got sick to their stomachs due to a rotten egg-like stench. As a precaution, the employees were taken to a local hospital, where they were treated and released. Tests revealed the smell was not toxic.

The cause?

Crew workers said they found Saturday a clogged sewage vent pipe at the building.

Most houses and businesses have a vent pipe, which is supposed to prevent smells from the sewage system to be released into the air.

The vent pipe at the DMV was clogged with debris, crew workers said. They flushed the debris out, and they are confident the problem has been fixed.

A crew will be out again at the DMV building on Monday morning to make sure employees do not notice any additional issues.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.