Local News

Parents Want Answers About Daughter's Death From Lidocaine Overdose

Posted Updated
Shiri Berg
RALEIGH, N.C. — The parents of an North Carolina State student who died prior to a laser hair removal procedure are finally speaking out.

Sara Berg remembers the very last words she ever spoke to her daughter, Shiri.

"I said, 'I love you and see you tomorrow,'" she said.

The next day, Shiri Berg was hospitalized in a coma and died.

"I don't wish anybody in the world to go through a situation like this. It's the worst thing that can happen to anybody," Berg said.

The medical examiner said Berg died from a Lidocaine overdose. The drug was dispensed by the Premier Body Laser Clinic without a prescription or any warnings, according to the family attorney.

"The thing that will give us satisfaction cannot be accomplished because nobody could bring Shiri to us," said Ron Tzur, Shiri's stepfather. "That's the thing that everybody asks me ever since she got into the hospital -- what do you want? I want Shiri. It's the only thing I want."

Berg and Tzur have just returned from Israel, where they buried their daughter. They expect to make a decision about a possible lawsuit within the next 30 days.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.