Local News

Raleigh Housing Authority, Walnut Terrace Residents Reach Settlement

Posted Updated

RALEIGH, N.C. — After almost 10 years, the last few litigants in the Walnut Terrace carbon monoxide case got their settlement.


Raleigh Housing Authority

will pay $400,000 to 122 current and former residents.

More than 200 people reported health problems from 1987 to 1992 from low level exposure to carbon monoxide.

Lorraine Hinton and her son, Shawnessy, died in 1992 when deadly fumes from a boiler room leaked into their Walnut Terrace apartment. Other residents said they suffered health problems, which include asthma, memory loss and migraines, as a result of fumes.

An attorney from the housing authority said while money has been paid, it is not admitting liability.

Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.