Cary puts the brakes on red light camera program
Posted August 9, 2012 6:51 p.m. EDT
Updated August 10, 2012 7:27 a.m. EDT
Cary, N.C. — After receiving hundreds of complaints from drivers who had been improperly ticketed, the Cary Town Council on Thursday voted to get rid of 17 red light cameras that monitor 15 intersections.
In a news release, Cary town officials said the cameras will continue to issue citations until the town can terminate its contract with Redflex, the outside contractor that monitors the cameras and issues $50 citations for violations. Officials said they expect the contract to be terminated within the next two weeks.
The unanimous vote comes a week after Cary Town Manager Benjamin Shivar suggested scrapping the program.
Shivar cited a WRAL News report that found that drivers were being improperly ticketed on left turns, as well as a lawsuit over the cameras, administrative costs and uncertainty about the state legislation authorizing the program.
In addition, the town said traffic engineers have achieved the program's goal of making safety improvements to certain intersections.
No driver's license or insurance points were assessed, and proceeds went to the county school system.
According to the town, the 8-year-old program has sent $646,366 to the Wake County Public School System, which is approximately 10 percent of the total fines. The town has kept about 2 percent of the fines to pay direct administrative costs, including one part-time employee.
The town has cameras at these intersections:
- Cary Towne Boulevard at Convention Drive (EB)
- Kildaire Farm Road at High Meadow Drive (SB)
- High House Road at Prestonwood Drive (WB)
- Northwest Maynard Road and Chapel Hill Road (NB)
- Maynard Road at Walnut Street (SB)
- Tryon Road at Crescent Green Way (EB)
- Tryon Road at Regency Parkway (WB)
- Walnut Street and Dillard Drive (NB)
- Maynard Road and Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Maynard Road (SB)
- Cary Parkway at Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway (NB)
- Cary Parkway at High House Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue at Maynard Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue and Weston Parkway (SB)
- Walnut Street at Meeting Street (WB)
- Cary Parkway and High Meadow (WB)