Cary mulls turning off red light cameras
Posted August 2, 2012 10:04 p.m. EDT
Cary, N.C. — Cary is considering permanently turning off its red light cameras.
The committee consisting of three town council members unanimously voted Thursday to approve the town manager's recommendation to end the red light camera program. The full Town Council will take up the proposal at its meeting next Thursday.
The town manager's recommendation cited a WRAL News report that found that drivers were being improperly ticketed on left turns, as well as a lawsuit over the cameras, administrative costs and uncertainty about the state legislation authorizing the program. In addition, the town said traffic engineers have achieved the program's goals of making safety improvements to certain intersections.
Currently, 17 red light cameras monitor 15 intersections. The cameras are monitored by an outside contractor, Redflex, which issues $50 citations for violations.
No driver's license or insurance points are assessed, and proceeds go to the county school system.
So far, according to the town, the eight-year-old program has sent $646,366 to the Wake County Public School System, approximately 10 percent of the total fines. The town has kept about 2 percent of the total fines to pay direct administrative costs, including one part-time employee.
The town has cameras at these intersections:
- Cary Towne Boulevard at Convention Drive (EB)
- Kildaire Farm Road at High Meadow Drive (SB)
- High House Road at Prestonwood Drive (WB)
- Northwest Maynard Road and Chapel Hill Road (NB)
- Maynard Road at Walnut Street (SB)
- Tryon Road at Crescent Green Way (EB)
- Tryon Road at Regency Parkway (WB)
- Walnut Street and Dillard Drive (NB)
- Maynard Road and Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Maynard Road (SB)
- Cary Parkway at Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway (NB)
- Cary Parkway at High House Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue at Maynard Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue and Weston Parkway (SB)
- Walnut Street at Meeting Street (WB)
- Cary Parkway and High Meadow (WB)