CARY, N.C. — A gas leak forced some Cary residents out of their homes Saturday morning.
Investigators said a plumbing contractor accidently ruptured a gas line while digging with a backhoe.
Residents of about 15 homes on Walnut Street, between Bynum and Ralph streets, were evacuated for three hours.
A section of Walnut Street was also closed to traffic as PSNC crews repaired the line.
"I heard a loud woosh and the smell of gas. About 25 minutes later, a man from the Cary Fire and Rescue Department came by and told the neighbors that they were advising in the neighborhood to evacuate," resident Yates Baldacchino said.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.