Harnett County Church Dinner Sends People To Hospital
Posted September 30, 2004 10:07 a.m. EDT
COATS, N.C. — A Sunday dinner at a church in Harnett County sends more than two dozen people to the hospital.
Red Hill Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church was celebrating its homecoming. After eating dinner at the church, many worshipers started getting sick, one critically. Health officials believe a case of
poisoning is to blame.
Officials said the food was laid out and prepared ahead of time, so it is hard to figure out which dish caused people to get sick.
The Harnett County Health Department is now working with the congregation. They will survey the members and then come up with a list of items that were served. The lessons learned will be gospel for future potlucks.
"You don't want that to happen to anyone and every precaution taken is needed," pastor Tony Kopanski said.
The parishoner in critical condition is said to be resting comfortably. The results of the health department's investigation could take two to four weeks to complete.
There was a similar
case in Durham
over the summer. More than 50 people got salmonella food poisoning at Peace Missionary Baptist Church in July. Caterer Carl Privette is due back in court in October, charged with creating a public health hazard.