Man Shocks Self At Substation, Thousands Lose Power In North Raleigh
Posted April 16, 2004 10:59 a.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — Power was knocked out to 8,000 Progress Energy customers in north Raleigh Monday afternoon when a man was shocked by equipment at the Pine Lake substation.
According to investigators, Willy Kabeya, 37, of Raleigh, jumped a fence to get into the locked substation. Kabeya touched a pole inside the fence and was shocked by more than 13,500 volts.
Kabeya is being treated at the UNC Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill in critical but stable condition.
There was no word on whether charges will be filed.
No charges will be filed against Progress Energy because all the gates were locked, and the proper number of warning signs were visible.