Wake Forest Recruit Won't Enroll After Rape Charges
Posted July 28, 2006 1:47 a.m. EDT
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A Sanford man who was set to play football at Wake Forest University won't enroll in the school this fall after being charged last month with rape, university officials said Friday.
Dennis Godfrey, 18, is charged with raping a 16-year-old girl at a family cookout in October 2005, according to court documents. The rape charges were filed June 22.
Wake Forest Director of Athletics Ron Wellman announced Friday that Godfrey will not enroll for the fall semester at Wake Forest.
We have discussed the matter with Dennis and we have mutually decided that it is in everyones best interest that he not enroll at Wake Forest University at this time, pending the outcome of the charges against him, Wellman said.
Godfrey was charged with first-degree kidnapping, second-degree rape, second-degree sexual offense and sexual battery and could face more than 30 years in prison if convicted of all charges. He has been released on $5,000 bail with the condition that he not contact his accuser.
Godfrey, a 6-3, 265-pound tight end from Lee County High School, signed a letter of intent with Wake Forest in February. He participated in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas and served as captain of the East Team.