Local News

Brothers In Custody Following Fatal Shootings Outside NCSU Game

Posted Updated
Two Dead In Shooting Outside NCSU Football Game
RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina State University student and his brother are in custody, charged in the shooting deaths of two men at a tailgating party across from Carter-Finley Stadium Saturday.

Timothy Johnson, 22, a student at N.C. State, and his brother, Tony, 20, both of Raleigh, are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

Timothy Johnson was arrested at 11:55 p.m. on Harden Road in Raleigh. Tony Johnson was arrested in Wilson at 1:09 a.m. Sunday after surrendering to Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison.

The Sheriff's Office said the shooting happened in a parking lot at

Trinity Road and Youth Center Drive

at about 6:20 p.m.

Kevin McCann, 23, of Chicago, Ill., died at the scene. 2nd Lt. Brett Harman, 23, of Park Ridge, Ill., died at WakeMed. Harman was a Marine based with the Third Battalion, Second Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune.

The men were best friends since childhood.

One victim was shot in the head, the other in the neck according to authorities. Harrison said neither were N.C. State students.

Officals searched for the brothers who, according to witnesses, left the scene in a dark green Chrysler Cirrus.

Harrison said the men were captured thanks to the help of the following agencies: the Raleigh Police Department; the United States Marshal; the state Highway Patrol; NCSU Campus Police; the North Carolina State Fair Security and the State Capitol Police.

Authorities are trying to determine if a fight led to the shooting.

Witnesses, including Tommy Rodwell, said a fight took place about an hour before the shooting.

"We were standing there and this girl came up. She was covered, splattered by blood because their friend had just been shot," Samantha Mitchell said.

Deputies searched Timothy Johnson's apartment on Sunday. A woman, who apartment managers say was his girlfriend, moved out Sunday with the help of her parents.

Tony Johnson was no stranger to the court system. A records search shows a reckless driving charge, multiple drug charges and a charge of underage drinking and driving.

An 18-year-old woman has been charged with helping Tony Johnson hide from authorities.

Ashley Renee Brown was arrested Sunday in Tarboro and charged as an accessory after the fact of murder. An arrest warrant says Brown drove Tony Johnson to a hotel and helped him get a room.

The shooting happened after the North Carolina State Wolfpack kicked off its season home opener against the Richmond Spiders.

N.C. State

issued a statement

about the shooting that reads in part: "It's unfortunate that despite all the crowd control and security coordination with numerous law enforcement and emergency agencies, an incident like this can take place."


Valonda Calloway


Copyright 2024 by WRAL.com and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.