Local News

Six-Year-Old Murder Case May Be Tied To Skull Found In Fayetteville Attic

Posted Updated

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A human skull found in the attic of anunoccupied house belonged to a man in his 30s and may be left overfrom an old murder, authorities said.

It was quite a first day on the job for Eva Call. As part of a cleaning crew, Call was in an abandoned house on Cliffbourne Drive Tuesday afternoon in Cumberland County when she came across a skull in the attic.

"We thought it could have been for medical school because there was a lot of medical supply signs," she said.

"It's kind of creepy. You wouldn't believe what we find in these houses. Nothing like this," said Kathy Linton, a member of the cleaning crew.

Detectives are now working on an identity. One lead they are following is tied to a case worked by Fayetteville Police in 1997 when Mauricio Campana, an alleged drug dealer from Miami, was killed.

Investigators say Kun Young Yoon murdered Campana and left him in the trunk of a car for two days. He eventually drove him to a home on Lomond Lake where two more people helped get rid of the body.

Once the suspects got the victim out of the car, they allegedly brought him down to a dock, put him in a boat and dumped the body in the middle of the lake. Two fisherman later found Campana's headless body.

Yoon is currently serving time for murder. Yoon Sil Yang spent time on probation. David Lundgren, who stayed at the lakehouse, served less than a year in prison.

The house, now vacant, is only about a mile away from where the cleaning crew made the discovery. Detectives have talked to the people who used to live in the house where the skull was found and, so far, they have not been able to tie the cases together.

"We are not ruling it out, but we are not excluding any otherpossibilities," said Lt. Sam Pennica of the Cumberland County'sSheriff's office.

Pennica said it is unclear how long the skull had been in theattic. He said that it was hidden, and that several families couldhave lived in the home without realizing the skull was there.

Investigators at the Sheriff's Office have looked through the old case. They think they may have some DNA from Compana's headless body they can compare to the skull.

The skull was sent to the state medical examiner's office inChapel Hill on Wednesday. Authorities said an autopsy report couldbe finished in about three weeks.

Copyright 2023 by WRAL.com and the Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.