Baddour Says No Decision Made About Doherty Yet
Posted March 28, 2003 10:18 a.m. EST
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Members of North Carolina's basketball team met Friday with athletics director Dick Baddour to discuss the future of the program and men's head coach Matt Doherty.
Baddour said late Friday night that after a group meeting Thursday and individual meetings with players all day Friday, he hadn't reached any decision about Doherty's future.
"I reiterate my support for Matt Doherty," Baddour said.
Freshman center Sean May told The New And Observer of Raleigh that the players asked for the meeting. Doherty says he started postseason player meetings with Baddour last year.
Doherty didn't return messages seeking comment Friday night.
Baddour is evaluating the basketball program and Doherty, whose third season as Tar Heels coach came to an end with Wednesday's loss to Georgetown in the NIT.
The Tar Heels finished 19-16 and missed the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season.
A report in the New York Daily News said that several UNC players threatened to transfer if Doherty is retained and that UNC is considering pursuing Kansas coach Roy Williams to be the coach.