Local News

Fallen Tree Causes Gas Leak In Johnston County

Posted Updated

CLEVELAND, N.C. — A Johnston County gas station is back open after a minor gas leak shut down a nearby road.

Assistant Fire Chief Russell Stanley said a fallen tree knocked one of the gas valves loose on Cleveland School Road in the Cleveland community, sending gas vapors into the air.

Firefighters temporarily shut down the road as a precaution.

"With the way the winds were going, our biggest concern was someone driving by and throwing a cigarette or sparking something that would create an ignition source," Stanley said.

Stanley said the gas company capped the valve. Firefighters reopened the road after nearly 30 minutes.

Residents living in a house near the gas station also were evacuated as a precaution, but they were later allowed to return to their homes.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.