Cleaning crews were using a drain cleaner that contains sulfuric acid, which caused an odor throughout the building, officials said. Usually, crews use the cleaner when the building is closed.
There were some reports of people complaining of throat irritation, but no one was treated.
Hazmat and fire crews ventilated the building and diluted the cleaner with water, authorities said.
Emergency communications and the county's 911 system were not affected.
Hargett Street between Dawson and McDowell streets was temporarily closed to accommodate fire apparatus.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.