Local News

Romance, nightclub troubles spark fatal Fayetteville shootings

Posted March 18, 2012 7:56 a.m. EDT
Updated March 18, 2012 3:33 p.m. EDT

— A fight over a romantic relationship and more trouble at a nightclub where a gang fight led to a high schooler's death last summer sparked two unrelated fatal shootings in Fayetteville early Sunday.

Police said two active-duty soldiers, Kevin Moseby and Duane Eric Brown Jr., got into a fight shortly before 3 a.m at Moseby's apartment in the 700 block of Duck Court.

Brown used to date Moseby's ex-wife, who had recently decided to rekindle their marriage, police said.

During the fight, Moseby, 28, was fatally shot. Police arrested Brown, 30, of 800 Golden Horseshoe Lane in Sanford, when he sought treatment for injuries at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.

Less than an hour after the first shooting, police received reports of another shooting at Club Ciroc, 6323 Raeford Road. Officers said they found a 22-year-old man who had been shot in the parking lot. He was pronounced dead at the scene by medical workers.

A second shooting victim was driven to Cape Fear hospital by an acquaintance, police said. He underwent surgery and is recovering.

The victims' identities haven't been released.

Investigators want to talk to some people seen leaving the area of Club Ciroc in a gold, four-door vehicle.

Anyone who saw the vehicle leaving the area at the time of the shooting or who can identify its occupants is asked to call Detective M. Ballard at 910-549-7326 or Crime Stoppers at 910-483-8477. Crime Stoppers pays cash rewards for anonymous tips that solve crimes.

A gang fight at Club Ciroc last July led to the shooting death of William Trower. The 18-year-old had graduated a month earlier from Pine Forest High School, where he had been a standout on the football team.

Police said that gunfire erupted inside the nightclub early July 2 during a fight between two gangs, wounding a 17-year-old and scattering other club patrons, including Trower. Fifteen minutes later, a gunman fired into Trower's car, hitting him in the head.

Michael Anthony McArthur, 20, was charged with first-degree murder in Trower's death, and Darian Hogan, 18, was arrested in connection with the nightclub shooting.