Local News

Several Durham Buildings Evacuated Due to Gas Line Break

Posted December 9, 2006 6:51 p.m. EST

— A gas leak in downtown Durham forced the evacuation of three office buildings on Saturday.

Police said a contractor working on a project at the American Tobacco Complex accidentally cut a gas line around noon near Blackwell and Vivian streets.

About 50 people were asked to temporarily leave the area, and crews blocked off Blackwell Street for a short time.

Crews repaired the line about 1 ½ hours later. No one was injured in the leak.