None of the three was hurt, but flames killed three of their pets and gutted their home.
Life for the three people who lived in a mobile home has been reduced to rubble.
"Right now, it's being investigated as a possible kitchen fire from cooking on the stove," Wake Forest Chief Jimmy Keith said.
A couple who was away visiting relatives and their roommate shared the home with seven pets. Three of the animals -- two dogs and a cat -- did not make it out alive.
The couple's roommate said he tried to save the animals.
"I can't feel anything," victim John Caldwell said. "I'm sad that we lost the animals, but I thank God I'm still here."
The lone dog that survived was reunited with the couple.
One of the cats also came back. He hid under the house, apparently terrified by what happened.
For Wendy Sharp, the animals are more than just pets. They are her support and, in some cases, her guide. Sharp is legally blind.
"I lost the trailor," Sharp said. "I lost my baby pictures. I lost everything."
Sharp's boyfriend, Brian Beasley, said the pets will be missed. He, too, depended on them to help Sharp.
Beasley said Sharp and he were planning to move out of the trailor in January. For now, they will have to rely on the kindness of the Red Cross, strangers and, of course, family.
The Red Cross will be putting Sharp, Beasley and Caldwell up in a hotel for the weekend.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.