Local News

Exams Delayed For Shaw Students Evacuated During Gas Leak

Posted Updated
Switch to classic wral.com

RALEIGH, N.C. — Because of the disruption caused by an emergency evacuation Monday night, Shaw University's Department of Academic Affairs requested Tuesday that students affected by the be allowed to delay Tuesday's scheduled exams until a later date.

Shaw

evacuated two dormitories

on its main campus around 8:30 p.m. Monday after campus officials were advised of a gas leak on Person Street.

Raleigh fire and police authorities ordered the precautionary move after a city work crew accidentally ruptured a gas line while working on a water line.

Approximately 700 students were directed to Spaulding Gymnasium, where they remained for several hours. The students were allowed to return to their rooms at midnight -- after fire officials performed air tests in the residence halls that indicated no gas fumes had migrated into the buildings.

According to Dr. Charles Chambliss, an executive vice president, "studentshandled the situation well, and the evacuation moved very smoothly with theassistance of University housing staff. Since final examinations are inprogress, safety concerns heightened the feelings of anxiety experienced bystudents."

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ImageFeedback