Victim's Father Speaks Out About Deadly Wayne County Shooting
Posted November 18, 2003 4:07 a.m. EST
WAYNE COUNTY, N.C. — Authorities have not arrested anyone in connection with last week's shooting of a Wayne County couple, but investigators say it was a planned murder. The father of one of the victims said he does not understand what someone would want to harm the couple.
Authorities say someone shot Muriel and Peggy Brock at their Grantham home last Monday. Peggy died at the scene and her husband, Muriel, is still in the hospital.
"It's been the worst thing that's ever happened to us. We've been mighty devastated through this time and it is the saddest time that we've ever been through," said Mangrum Brock, Muriel's father.
Muriel Brock was shot 15 times, but he is expected to make a full recovery.
"It is a miracle. It really is," Mangrum said.
Mangrum Brock said Muriel has only been able to say a few words to his family so far and family members are not sure if he knows his wife is dead.
"He'll mention her name, but I've told him she was gone. At this time, I don't know if he's understood that or not," Mangrum said.
Investigators recently told the Brock family that the shooting does not appear to be random, nor does it appear to be a case of robbery. Instead, they say someone targeted the couple with the intention of killing them.
"It just devastated us. I don't know what to think. I hope no one hate them that much. I just can't imagine anyone hating them that much," Mangrum said.
Mangrum Brock still worries about his son's safety and will not release his picture to the public until the killer is in jail.
"It's very important to us and our neighbors and everyone that's concerned in this county," he said.
Muriel Brock's hospital room is being guarded. Anyone with any information about the case is asked to call the Wayne County Sheriff's Office at