Raleigh Family Escapes Fire
Posted October 22, 2003 12:05 p.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — A Raleigh family escaped to safety after their home went up in flames Thursday night.
The fire started around 11:45 p.m. at the home on the 4000 block of Western Boulevard. Officials said the fire re-ignited around 3 a.m.
Family members said they were trying to refill a power generator when a candle one of them was holding ignited the gasoline.
Six people who were in the home at the time got out safely.
Crews had to block off part of Western Boulevard at Blue Ridge Road near the beltline -- stranding people leaving Carter Finley Stadium after the N.C. State game.