Local News

Dryer Sparks Fire At Rocky Mount Assisted Living Facility

Posted Updated

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — Residents at a Rocky Mount assisted living facility got an early morning scare.

Forty-three resident were evacuated after fire broke out in the building.

The fire started around 12:30 a.m. at the Alterra Sterling House assisted living facility.

Fire investigators said excessive heat in the dryer filled with bed linens ignited clothing.

The fire chief said sprinklers kept the fire from spreading beyond the laundry room.

All residents were evacuated and were able to return to their rooms.Four residents were taken to a hospital as a precaution, and were later released.

Minor water damage was reported in one resident's room located near the laundry room.Damage is estimated at $12,000.


Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.