Local News

Mold Problems Show Up At Bunn High School

Posted Updated

FRANKLIN COUNTY, N.C. — The state health department sent a letter home to parents at a Franklin County High School telling them about a problem with mold.

Inspectors recently found some potentially toxic mold at Bunn High School. They said it was growing around the insulation on some of the pipes in the ceiling of the science building.

Franklin County interim health director Sandra Wood said the mold is not hazardous if left alone. She recommended that it be removed to avoid any health risks.

"This particular mold is a sticky type of substance, and it is not something that flies in the air like air particles," Wood said.

Krystal Poyer has three classes in the science building. She and her classmates can spend anywhere from three to five hours in the building.

"Some people talk about having colds and getting sick from it, but it's hard to tell with flu season," she said.

Kathy Poyer, Krystal's mother, said she and other Bunn parents got a letter from the Franklin county school system. It explained the mold problem and what's being done about it.

"I think they're doing everything they can," she said.

"Mold isn't something to play with," said George Kelley, principal of Bunn High School.

School officials are now in the process of hiring an environmental company to come in and clean the toxic mold.

Prolonged exposure to mold can cause serious health problems -- especially for people with allergies or asthma. For them, mold can cause nasal congestion, wheezing, sore throat or other serious upper respiratory infections.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.