Local News

Raleigh shooting 911 call: 'He said not to send police, I hate police'

Posted February 7, 2012 4:28 p.m. EST
Updated February 7, 2012 10:48 p.m. EST

— A mental health professional called 911 Monday, several hours before her client shot a Raleigh police officer and committed suicide, warning police that the man was threatening violence.

The caller, whose name was not released, told 911 that her client, Steven Gregory Meyer, 48, came to her office and said he wanted to overdose on heroin, among other things.

"He said not to send police, 'you know I hate police,' and that he would fight them," the caller said. "He talked about wanting to strap a bomb to himself and go to the city center and take them out."

The caller warned police that Meyer "has guns" and "has nothing to lose."

"He’s lost his job. He’s lost his marriage," she said. "I think (it will be) a serious problem if a policeman approaches him. I don’t know how you’re going to handle that. Good luck. I mean, I’m really, really, really frightened for my own safety."

Raleigh police released the 911 call and radio traffic Tuesday, less than 24 hours after Meyer shot Officer Adam W. Young, 30, and committed suicide at a Brier Creek apartment complex.

"Shots fired! Shots fired! One officer down! One officer down!" someone says on police radio traffic. "Suspect is still inside. Door appears to be barricaded ... We need EMS to start rolling out here."

Bullets struck Young underneath his arm, in the leg and in his bullet-proof vest. He was in stable condition at WakeMed on Tuesday. Young and other police officers went to Meyer's apartment, at 9321 Bothwell St., hoping to help him after the mental health professional's 911 call.

Crisis negotiators talked to Meyer for several hours, but he refused to come out of his apartment, police said. When it became clear that Meyer wouldn't surrender, police stormed the apartment, and Young tried to break down the door.

"When (Young) used the breaching tool that went in just a few inches, it was at that time that a volley of fire came from within the apartment," said Raleigh Police Chief Harry Dolan.

A medic, who was already on scene, began helping Young as officers tried again to enter Meyer's apartment. Police used tear gas and a robot before storming the apartment around 11 p.m., where they found Meyer dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound from a pistol.

Monday's shooting marks the first time in about a decade that a Raleigh police officer has been shot in the line of duty, according to Dolan. The police chief said he met with Young and his family in the hospital and said Young was in good spirits but also saddened about Meyer's death. Young has been with the Raleigh Police Department since June 2005.

"The professionalism, the calm under fire that was demonstrated by our tactical professionals was extraordinary in every respect," Dolan said. "We are very fortunate that Officer Young is recovering well and that no one else was injured."

Residents living nearby, who were forced to leave the apartment complex, described it as a "quiet neighborhood."

"For this community, you know, we are going to talk about this for a long time, what went on, why did this happen, these type of things," said resident David Ray.