Three Dead, 1 Injured After Cary Collision
Posted August 2, 2003 11:51 a.m. EDT
CARY, N.C. — U.S. 1 in Cary has reopened after being shut down for close to three hours after a fatal traffic accident Saturday.
Three people died in the accident that occurred around 10:30 a.m. on U.S. 1 at the Cary Parkway. Another was taken to WakeMed.
According to reports, an Oldsmobile was parked underneath the Cary Parkway overpass on U.S. 1 with three people inside. A van driven by a man from Colorado reportedly struck the Oldsmobile, which then caught fire, killing all three occupants.
The names of those who died in the car was not available early Sunday.
Cary Police Lt. Don Hamilton said investigators would probably need a few days to determine the identities.
Van driver James Hebb, 19, of Silverthorne, Colo., was taken to WakeMed after the wreck, where doctors operated on him.
Officers saw him before surgery, but he was heavily sedated and did not discuss the wreck, Hamilton said.
Hebb had been working locally as a cable TV subcontractor, Hamilton said.
No charges had been filed late Saturday.