Local News

Wake Habitat Home Severely Damaged By Fire

Posted Updated

RALEIGH, N.C. — From the outside it doesn't look that bad, but inside there is nothing left at 623 Jubilee Court.

The home was a dream come true for Grace Landry. It was the first home she ever owned, thanks to the organization Habitat for Humanity.

"This is the first house that I bought as a single parent. That was everything that I had," said Landry.

But that dream was destroyed when fire engulfed the home just before 3 p.m. on Monday.

"It's something unreal. It's something that you think happens to other people and not to you," said Landry.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Fire officials said a lamp sparked the fire, and it's been ruled accidental.

Landry lived in the house with her daughter Corinna, son-in-law Norberto and their 7-year-old son, Brandon.

"I'm sad about what happened to it," said Brandon. "Like, everything got burned and even my toys."

What's even more heartbreaking is that the family didn't have homeowner's insurance.

"To be honest with you, I was having a lot of problems financially. And I still do," said Landry.

The American Red Cross put the family up in a hotel for three nights. Now Landry is counting on family and friends to take them in.

A representative for Habitat for Humanity in Wake County issued the following statement: "Our hearts go out to the family. Habitat Wake has provided them the contact information for community emergency resources to assist them in obtaining food, clothing, shelter and health services. Habitat will continue to talk with the family to learn more about the situation and provide guidance for additional services they may need. "


Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.