Increased Patrols In Store For Chapel Hill's Halloween Bash
Posted September 29, 2006 1:12 a.m. EDT
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Growing crowds and escalating violence prompted Chapel Hill police to take a second look at security measures for outdoor celebrations.
On Wednesday night, Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies outlined his plan to increase safety at this year's Halloween bash. Along with the thousands of people expected to crowd Franklin Street, 400 officers will be along to make sure they stay under control.
Last year more than 50,000 revelers took to Franklin Street. Police officials said each year, the Halloween bash and other events get bigger and more out of control.
Three people were shot at this year's Apple Chill Festival. Town leaders cancelled the event after the shooting and took a second look at post-game celebrations and the Halloween tradition.
In the plan Jarvies presented to the Town Council, he requested 40 additional officers, increased lighting, officers on motorcycles and mounted patrols.
"It's difficult for officers on foot to see two to three people into a crowd," said Jarvies. "Officers on horseback have much better lines of sight."
Joanna Shoaf is the manager of Four Corners on Franklin Street. She said she thinks Jarvies' plan is a good one.
"People might, if they find out there are going to be more officers, they might want to come down and it might keep some people in control who may otherwise get out of control," said Shoaf.
The increased security will cost taxpayers an extra $23,000, for a grand total of $220,000.