Third Arrest Made In Holly Springs Shooting Death
Posted September 12, 2006 9:10 a.m. EDT
HOLLY SPRINGS, N.C. — A third suspect has been arrested in connection with the shooting death of a Holly Springs teen in June.
Authorities arrested 24-year-old William Oscar Talavera, 1724 Greenbriar Drive in Fuquay-Varina, at his home Monday and charged him with being an accessory after the fact of murder.
Police had earlier arrested George Damel Young, 23, of 315 Hastings Place in Cary, and James Anthony Batiste Jr., 20, of 3125 Tryon Road in Raleigh in connection with the shooting death of 18-year-old Douglas Mangum. Young is being held in the Wake County Jail without bond, while Batiste was released on bond Aug. 22.
Holly Springs police said Talavera is accused of driving Young out of town following the fatal altercation with Mangum.
Mangum was shot outside his home at West Holly Springs Road the night of June 4. People inside the house told officers they had heard gunshots while Mangum was outside for a short time. He re-entered the home, said he had been shot, and collapsed.
The death of Mangum, a student at Middle Creek High School, was the first homicide in Holly Springs since 1995.
Talavera is being held in the Wake County Jail under $500,000 bond.