Local News

Former Carrboro Fire Chief Died Of Overdose

Posted Updated

CARRBORO, N.C. — Former Carrboro fire chief Rodney Murray died of an overdose of sleeping pills, according to an autopsy report.

Murray, 57, was found dead on June 24 in a room at the LaQuinta Inn at 1001 Aerial Center Blvd. in Cary.

Murray, who resigned from his job in March, had been in and out of jail several times since December for violating a protective order to stay away from his former girlfriend, as well as for citations for driving while impaired.

In May, he pleaded guilty to six charges stemming from harassing and stalking the woman, who had ended their 10-year relationship. He was sentenced to five years of probation.

Copyright 2024 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.