State Education Officials Visit Beleaguered High School
Posted September 7, 2006 11:51 a.m. EDT
GOLDSBORO, N.C. — Members of the State Board of Education who toured Goldsboro High School Thursday morning said they feel the beleaguered school is moving in the right direction.
Goldsboro High is one of 17 schools statewide that district court judge has said aren't making the grade. Students at those schools often receiving failing scores on end-of-course tests, and Judge Howard Manning sent a letter to the state board threatening to close down those schools if he did not see major changes.
Manning received an update last month on how the 17 schools are doing. While he decided to keep the doors open for the start of school, he said he would monitor them closely.
Goldsboro High Principal Patricia Burden said she and other Wayne County Schools officials invited the state educators to Goldsboro to see the school's efforts firsthand. State board members said they routinely travel around the state to visit schools.
The school has launched several initiatives to help students:A Freshman Academy helps ninth-graders make the transition from middle school and get caught up on their course work. Semester courses have been expanded to yearlong courses in core subjects so students can master more material. Technology has been updated and added. A Parent Academy will be held several times during the year to improve communication between school and home and get more parents involved in their children's education.
Board of Education members also met Wednesday night with school administrators, county commissioners and community members to discuss Goldsboro High's plans and its recent performance.
Board members said Thursday that the school still needs to improve but appears to be making moves in that direction.