Local News

Slain Woman's Family Grateful For Community Support

Posted Updated

WENDELL, N.C. — Support for the family of a Wendell woman found slain last week has been overwhelming and continues to pour in, her grieving husband said Monday.

The body of Cynthia Moreland, 48, was found Friday afternoon behind an abandoned barn in Harnett County. She was last seen alive on Aug. 22, when she dropped her husband off at work at WakeMed and headed to her office at Progress Energy.

She entered a downtown Raleigh parking garage early that morning and disappeared. Her abandoned car was found the next day in southeast Raleigh.

Her family still can't understand why someone would kill her.

"She shouldn't have died that way, not the way she did. It just took out a piece of my heart," Walter Moreland said of his wife.

"It's just us now -- my dad, myself and my son -- and we're missing a link. It's hard," daughter Keisha Moreland said.

Many others across the Triangle apparently share the family's heartache. Walter Moreland said he received a telephone call Monday morning from a woman who said she was praying for them.

"It really touched me. She started crying and I don't even know her, and I'd like to thank everybody that really helped out," he said with tears in his eyes.

The outpouring of support also has left Cynthia Moreland's funeral arrangements up in the air. Mount Peace Baptist Church, where she was a member, isn't big enough for the expected turnout at the 1 p.m. Saturday service, so her family is looking for a larger venue.

Walter Moreland also thanked churches, neighbors, Progress Energy, WakeMed and Raleigh police for their help. The family said police took the case personally and worked it hard from the beginning.

"The police department, we really appreciate everything they've done because, without them, we'd still be lost, clueless," Keisha Moreland said.

Antonio Chance, 29, of Garner, has been charged with kidnapping in the case. Police said he tried to use Cynthia Moreland's debit card at a local discount store shortly after her disappearance, and investigators also traced her cell phone back to Chance.

Police haven't yet charged anyone with Moreland's death.

"We want to make sure that all the facts and all the evidence that is potentially available are in before we take the next step in the case," said Jim Sughrue, the spokesman for the Raleigh Police Department.

Walter Moreland said he's not that concerned with criminal charges.

"The only thing that would help, would really help, is if she was back here with me," he said.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.