PINEHURST, N.C. — Pinehurst restaurants say county officials waited too long to tell them a boil-water alert was over, costing them business over the weekend.
Routine testing of the area's water supplies on Friday had detected the presence of E. coli bacteria, which can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea and other symptoms. The alert affected over 8,000 water customers in Pinehurst and surrounding areas.
The water supply was declared safe on Saturday night. Business owners claim they didn't find out until late Sunday and were shut down in the meantime.
County leaders defended their actions, but also said they're looking for ways to spread the word faster next time.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.