Local News

Worker Electrocuted At UNC's Kenan Stadium

Posted Updated

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A contract worker was electrocuted while working at Kenan Stadium on the University of North Carolina campus late Wednesday morning, officials said.

According to UNC officials, 31-year-old Leland S. Williams of Burlington and his co-workers of Kemco of Burlington, Inc. were replacing light fixtures and bulbs on banks of field lights when the accident occurred. Williams died at the scene, said police.

Officials said the contract job at the stadium began in mid-summer and was scheduled for completion by the end of August. There is no word on if the project will now be delayed.

Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the university's Division of Environmental Health and Safety and UNC police are investigating the accident.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.