Two New Attorneys To Represent Cary Man In Second Murder Trial
Posted July 11, 2006 12:53 p.m. EDT
LUMBERTON, N.C. — A Cary man accused of killing his wife will have two new attorneys representing him when his new trial begins.
A judge appointed the attorneys on Monday for Myron Britt -- who was on trial last month for the August 2003 shooting death of Nancy Britt at her mother's Lumberton home -- because Britt said he could not afford to pay a lawyer for a new trial.
Britt's first trial ended last month with the jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of conviction.
Prosecutors have alleged that Britt, who faces a first-degree murder charge, had a financial motive to kill his wife, claiming that he was in financial trouble and wanted to collect on her insurance policy.
Defense attorneys have said the couple was happy and that Britt had no motive to kill his wife.
A new trial date has not been set. The state is seeking the death penalty.