Family Finds New Home After Raleigh Arson Fire
Posted July 9, 2006 12:48 p.m. EDT
RALEIGH, N.C. — The new tenants of the house on Tipton Road in Raleigh are grateful to have a home again.
Early Wednesday morning, Tamika Robinson and her family woke up to find their apartment at
613 Quarry Street
"By the time we got to the door, the fire people were there. and they told us we needed to hurry up and get out because the house was on fire," Robinson said. "It was 1 a.m., so it was scary."
Investigators ruled the fire as arson. Robinson said firefighters found a small bottle of kerosene in the vacant unit next door to her apartment.
Although her family lost everything, Robinson said she is grateful they survived, and with help from the American Red Cross, are about to get back on their feet.
"I'm very grateful to each and every person at the Red Cross," she said.
The Red Cross provided the family money for clothing, food and a new place to live, which is just around the corner from the house that burned down.
"It's going to be hard looking at where I used to live, but I'm happy with my new home," said Robinson. "We had no family here and ...we lost everything, but we do have a new start."
Robinson said she still wonders why someone would set her home on fire. But she also said she does not plan to dwell on that. Her goal now is to replace most of what her family lost in the fire.