Local News

Fire In Raleigh Town Home Kills 5 Pets; Residents Escape Through Second-Story Window

Posted Updated

RALEIGH, N.C. — Fire at a town home off Jones Franklin Road in Raleigh killed five pets Tuesday.

Two people were home at the time. They jumped to safety from windows on the second floor. They were transported to Rex Hospital after sustaining minor bumps and bruises and suffering from smoke inhalation.

Authorities say the fire gutted the entire town home. The flames reportedly spread so fast that three dogs and two cats, who were trapped downstairs, couldn't be saved.

The fire was contained to the one residence. Adjacent town homes sustained some smoke and water damage.

Officials said it appears the fire was started by smoking materials that were left in a trash can against a wall on the outside of the town home. The trash can ignited, then the siding caught on fire, and the flames advanced into the town home.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.